I have friends, people I care deeply about, who have so-called pre-existing medical conditions who also cannot get health insurance through their employers because either they're self-employed or work for businesses small enough not to be able to offer healthcare as a benefit. Candidate Trump promised to replace the Affordable Care Act with individual health savings accounts and allowing insurance to be purchased across state lines. Senate Majority Leader McConnell has already pledged that repeal of the Affordable Care Act to be among his highest priorities. These changes will lead to direct harm to my friends who likely will have to decide between life-saving medicines or food on their tables. And you want me to put differences aside and come together?
Trump has pledged to appoint Supreme Court Justices from the same mold as Antonin Scalia, the one man who has ever earned my hatred. Trump has pledged to do what he can to overturn Obergefell, which did away with anti-gay marriage bans nationwide. Trump has also pledged to do away with the Obama directives around trans* students in public schools. A "successful" Trump administration would result in the utter destruction of hard-won victories to recognize the safety of trans* people and my right to marry the man I love (and enjoy the governmentally recognized duties and responsibilities that come with that status). And you want me to wish him a successful presidency?
Violence against minorities in on a sharp upswing since Tuesday night. Assaults on Muslim women wearing hijabs, threats against African-Americans, Nazi-inspired vandalism, and assertions that it's now permissible to sexually assault women. These reports are increasing in number and starting to be reported in mainstream media, and Trump has yet to take the Oath of Office. His campaign encouraged such behaviors and given his track record I very much doubt that he will do anything to discourage it. Look no further than the people on Trump's published "short list" of Cabinet Appointees and you'll find Sheriff Clarke calling the peaceful protests following Trump's election illegitimate. And you want me to sing "Kumbaya" as the very principles our nation was founded on are threatened?
I recognize that Donald Trump was legitimately elected as President of the United States, and that makes him my president. I will not throw a temper tantrum like so many on the right did after Obama's election and claim Trump is not my president. The office will get all of the respect it is due.
But I also expect the President to work for *all* the people of the United States, to minimize harm to its people, and balance their rights and needs regardless of race, creed, ability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or social and economic status. I will hold him and his administration responsible for any harm he allows happen to people I care about.
I will not, can not, overlook the harm he has pledged to do to my friends and myself. I will not, can not, heed calls for unity. I will not, can not, pledge to hope for a successful presidency when I know his success will mean suffering for people I care about.
In fact I solemnly pledge to work as hard as I can to prevent that harm. I hope that if you count myself or my partner as a friend that you will stand with me.